Submitted by: Brenda Irby May 16, 1998
Patricia, Thank you for your reply to my message about the Shackelford family.
I would very much like to have your Shackelford Information, if you could send over the Internet I will share with other Shackelford descendants. We are all working to bring our family together,so any piece of the puzzle is most wanted.
I don't have very much Shackelford information to share. I have been in contact with Gloria Hyatt, who is also a Shackelford researcher. She and I share a great, great grandfather. It was Gloria who referred me to your website.
Here is the info I have:
My great, great grandfather: Jesse Bectin Shackelford, b. Nov. 17, 1823, in Greene County, NC., d. Oct. 28, 1892; married Lydia ? (b. 1829 d. Jan. 11, 1918).
Jesse was a preacher at the Harts Meeting House, now the Marlboro Freewill Baptist Church in Greene County, NC.
Jesse and Lydia had nine children.
My great grandfather: Benjamin Harvey Shackelford, b. March 5, 1871 in Greene County, NC; d. July 25, 1940 in Pitt County, NC; married Fanny Lee Carraway, b. Nov. 3, 1869 in Greene County, NC, d. Dec. 26, 1925 in Wilson County, NC.
Benjamin and Fanny had 5 children:
1. Verna Lee Shackelford, b. Jan. 13, 1894 in Greene County, NC; d. April 26, 1924 in Wilson County, NC; married Wiley Columbus Evans, b. Sept. 15, 1882 in Greene County, NC; d. March 1, 1947 in Wilson County, NC. He was the son of John Evans and Nancy Whitley Evans.
2. Effie Shackelford, b. 1896, d. Aug. 1966
3. Eliza Shackelford, b. 1898, d. April 28, 1976, m. T. R. Joyner, d. 1983.
4. Jesse Bectin Shackelford, b. 1900 d. Feb. 23, 1963, m. Julia Stroud (died Jan. 18, 1964)
5. John William Shackelford, b. 1902 d. May 18, 1977, m. Mandy Walston (b. Oct. 17, 1901, d. 1994)
Verna Lee Shackelford and Wiley Columbus Evans had 6 children:
1.Douglas M. Evans, b. 1912, d. May, 1971 (buried in Arlington National Cemetery)
2.Lillian Evans, b. 1915, d. 1956, m. Lucien Bissette
3.Woodrow William Evans, b. July 1917, d. Dec. 14, 1985 in Charles Town, WV, m. Eva Gray
4.Milton Earl Evans, b. Aug. 8, 1919 in Wilson County, NC; m. Odella Fraley b. July 31, 1923 in Elliott County, KY. Both are still living.
5.Alton Jesse Evans, b. March 12, 1922, d. Sept. 7, 1924
6.Fanny Louise Evans, b. April 18, 1924, m. Willis Lee Joyner. Both are still living.
My father is Milton Evans.
There is a Shackelford Roots web mail list, you may want to join that as well.
Please tell me how to join that list. I have joined an Evans mailing list, but I was not aware of a Shackelford list.
If you know of any Shackelford researchers who are connected to any of the people I have listed, please let me now. Thanks, Brenda
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Return to Researchers List
© -Copyright Notice
UpdatedThursday, 01-May-2008 18:38:36 EDT