Submitted by: Matthew Waack Sun. Feb. 8, 1998
Home page http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/a/a/Matthew-W-Waack/
I'm Looking for information on the parents of the Addison Pope you see below. His father's name may be Edmund Shackelford and I suspect he may be a brother of General James Murrell Shackelford of Madisonville, KY. I know he was a physician who graduated from Transyvania University in Kentucky.
Descendants of Addison Pope Shackelford
Generation No. 1
1. ADDISON POPE1 SHACKELFORD was born June 28, 1826 in Kentucky. He married SALLIE BLAIN MURRELL, daughter of SAMUEL MURRELL and ELIZABETH STERRETT.
Child of ADDISON SHACKELFORD and SALLIE MURRELL is:
2. i. JAMES ARCHER BLAIN2 SHACKELFORD, b. July 07, 1864, Madisonville, Hopkins Co., KY; d. May 09, 1932, Wandel, OK.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES ARCHER BLAIN2 SHACKELFORD (ADDISON POPE1) was born July 07, 1864 in Madisonville, Hopkins Co., KY, and died May 09, 1932 in Wandel, OK. He married BESSIE BELLE WELLS February 12, 1889 in Wellington KS, daughter of PHILIAR WELLS and ELECTA HOWE.
Notes for JAMES ARCHER BLAIN SHACKELFORD: Changed name from Archibald to Addison (James Addison Shackelford)
Notes for BESSIE BELLE WELLS: Great Gramma Shack of Matthew W. Waack who was paulbearer at her funeral. Buried in Kingfisher Cemetery, Kingfisher, OK
Children of JAMES SHACKELFORD and BESSIE WELLS are:
3. i. NINA WELLS3 SHACKELFORD, b. December 12, 1889, Kingfisher Co., OK.
4. ii. ADA RUTH SHACKELFORD, b. September 02, 1891, Wandel, Kingfisher Co., Oklahoma; d. June 14, 1987, Okeene, OK.
Generation No. 3
3. NINA WELLS3 SHACKELFORD (JAMES ARCHER BLAIN2, ADDISON POPE1) was born December 12, 1889 in Kingfisher Co., OK. She married ALONZO ELLIS RUDD October 30, 1910.
Child of NINA SHACKELFORD and ALONZO RUDD is:
5. i. MAUREEN RUTH4 RUDD, b. November 11, 1913.
4. ADA RUTH3 SHACKELFORD (JAMES ARCHER BLAIN2, ADDISON POPE1) was born September 02, 1891 in Wandel, Kingfisher Co., Oklahoma, and died June 14, 1987 in Okeene, OK. She married MATTHEW BROWN JR March 27, 1912 in Kingfisher Co., OK, son of MATTHEW BROWN and ELLA GRAVE.
Notes for ADA RUTH SHACKELFORD: "Gramma Brown"
Notes for MATTHEW BROWN JR: Came to Oklahoma in 1898 Land Run. Settled on "home" place 7 miles north of Okeene near Isabella.
Children of ADA SHACKELFORD and MATTHEW JR are:
6. i. ADDISON SHACKELFORD4 BROWN, b. June 09, 1915, Okeene, OK; d. August 1997, Stillwater, Ok.
7. ii. FRANCES BETTY BROWN, b. October 03, 1919, Isabella, Oklahoma.
8. iii. ARLYNN ROSS "WINK" BROWN, b. April 11, 1921.
9. iv. NINA RUTH BROWN, b. October 23, 1923, Isabella, Major County, Oklahoma.
10. v. MATTHEW BROWN III, b. July 02, 1933, Isabella, Oklahoma.
Thu. Apr 16, 1998
Have been learning a lot about my Shackelford Ancestors. Heres the descendent tree I have so far:
Descendants of Samuel Shackelford
1 Samuel Shackelford
2 Edmund L. Shackelford 1786 - 1854
+Susannah Thompson 1790 - 1865
3 Addison Pope Shackelford 1826 - 1882
+Sallie Blane Murrell 1830 - Abt. 1888
4 James Archer Blane Shackelford 1865 - 1932
+Bessie Belle Wells 1868 - 1970
5 Nina Wells Shackelford 1889 -
+Alonzo Ellis Rudd - 1944
6 Maureen Ruth Rudd 1913 -
+Francis Dean Fulmer
7 Tommy Dean
7 James Dean
5 Ada Ruth Shackelford 1891 - 1987
+Matthew Brown JR 1888 - 1975
6 Addison Brown 1915 - 1997
+Sarah Catherine Every 1915 - 1997
7 Betty Lynn Brown 1940 -
7 Richard Philip Brown 1942 -
6 Frances Betty Brown 1919 -
+Billy Hodges 1923 -
7 Ann Hodges
7 Keith Arlynn Hodges
7 William Addison Hodges
6 Arlynn Ross "Wink" Brown 1921 -
7 Gary Arlynn
6 Nina Ruth Brown 1923 -
+Richard Eugene Waack 1923 -
7 Richard Lester Waack 1946 -
*2nd Wife of Richard Lester Waack:
+Gretta Silliman 1950 -
7 Matthew William Waack 1949 -
+Brenda Pauline Cupp 1951 -
7 Timothy Charles Waack 1950 -
+Karen Maxine Turner 1952 -
6 Matthew Brown III 1933 -
4 Samuel Murrell Shackelford 1859 -
3 Mary Ann Shackelford
3 Martha A. Shackelford
+Jonathan M. Reid
3 Mehitable Carney Shackelford
+Amasa Delong 1801 -
3 Samuel Shackelford
3 Albert Shackelford
3 George Nelson Shackelford
+Mary P. Staples
3 Edmund Shackelford Jr
3 Harriet Shackelford 1822 -
+John P. Cook 1817 -
4 Elnora Cook 1841 -
4 Mary S Cook 1843 -
4 Laura E. Cook 1845 -
4 Albert S. Cook 1847 -
4 Emma Cook 1849 -
4 John P. Cook 1853 -
3 Sarah (Sally) Shackelford
+John F. Wilkins
3 James Murrell Shackelford 1827 - 1909
+Marion Stewart Ross 1825 - 1863
4 Emma Shackelford 1853 -
4 Addison Pope Shackelford 1856 -
4 Ross 1858 -
4 Nora S Shackelford 1860 -
*2nd Wife of James Murrell Shackelford:
+Henrietta Marie Ross (younger sister of Marion Stewart Ross)
3 Felix G. Shackelford - 1854
3 John E. Shackelford 1829 - 1898
+Martha Holloman 1843 - 1899
Addison Pope Shackelford is listed in Hopkins Co. 1860 (Madisonville) and 1870 (Nebo Post Office). He was listed in 1850 Green County census. He was a physician and farmer. He attended Transylvania University in Lexington 1851-1853 listing, Greensburg, KY. I have a copy of his handwritten doctoral thesis on "Bronchitis". The Family moved to Wellington KS, Sarah (Sallie Blain Murrell Shackelford) is buried in Weelinton Cemetery. James Archer Blain Shackelford married Bessie Belle Wells in Wellington 12 Feb 1888. They settled in Oklahoma during the land run ( opened April 22 1889) into Kingfisher County. (An Oklahoma '89er)
Edmund L. and 2 of his sons (Fleix G. and either Samuel, Albert or Edmund JR.) died of Typhoid fever in 1854.
James Murrell Shackelford was a famous Civil War Brig. General USV Calvary, I have a 5 page Biography) on him. He chased down and captured the infamous Confederate General Morgan of "Morgan's Raiders". He resigned his comission shortly after the death of his wife Marion in 1864. He was a lawyer after the war with his brother-in-law John P. Cook. He moved to Evansville Indiana and practiced law until 1889 when President Benjamin Harrison appointed him judge of the first United States Court in Indian Territory in Muskogee, OK.
If anyone knows of link to Samuel (Edmund's father - Name is on Edmund's headstone in Union Cemetery in Hopkins, County, KY), please let me know.
I know there was a George C. Shackelford married to Nancy Metcalf (1 Jun1823, in Madisonville, Hopkins Co. KY). He is also listed on the 1810 to 1840 Census for Hopkins County with 1 male 15-20, 1 male 20-30, 1 male 30-40, 1 female 10-15, and 1 female 20-30.
I think George C. is related to Edmund L. (perhaps a brother). Can anyone confirm. Also know Edmund and Susannah Thompson were married in Lincoln Co. KY (2 Sep 1807) Her parents were Nelson Thompson and Sarah Kerr of VA
All information submitted to this project remains to the extent the law allows, the property of the submitter who, by submitting it, agrees that it may be freely copied, but never sold or used in a commercial venture without the knowledge and permission of its rightful owner. The Project and the keeper of this page , makes no claim or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.
Return to Researchers List
© -Copyright Notice
UpdatedThursday, 01-May-2008 18:36:13 EDT